Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Makan-makan in Rome

1. L'Archetto

As usual, I referred to Trip Advisor for recommendation of restaurants in Rome. We wanted to find somewhere close to the Trevi Fountain, so the final selection was Spaghetteria L'Archetto. They have outside and inside seating as well as at the basement. We saw so many people queuing outside, and thought that  there were no more seats. So we waited and waited, until suddenly we saw a couple who just walked in and was ushered to the basement. We laughed because we stupidly stood outside and waited like fools when we could actually ask to be seated at the basement.

Hungry girl...gosh the expression!

Basement seating


Garlic bread for starters

Egg and pepperoni  pizza


To be very frank, I did not quite enjoy this pizza. We came with the expectation that Italy's wood-fired 
pizza would be heavenly. However, this was not the case with this particular pizza. I would choose Pizza Hut's pizza over this one. Maybe, I ordered the wrong pizza. Oh well, I might try their other selection of  pizzas if I visit Rome again.



Other half's tuna spaghetti
Now, this one was yummy.  The blend of tuna with tomatoes and other herbs make a splendid combination. Hubby had a hard time choosing which spaghetti he wanted as this place boasted of more than 70 types of spaghetti to choose form.

2. La Molisana

After spending the whole morning visiting the Spanish Steps, Pantheon and Piazza Navona we were famished by lunchtime. Can't seem to decide where to eat, I suggested to find any restaurant around the vicinity of our B&B. La Molisana is the place where the locals go.The staff couldn't really understand English, so I had to point what I wanted to order. I spoke English, they replied in Italian. Haha!

La Molisana
Now, being a rice person, I immediately chose this without hesitating. But I told the waitress (and pointing) that I only wanted 1 tomato. She mumbled something in Italian and the next thing I knew, 2 tomato-stuffed rice appeared with fries. I was panicking because on top of the rice, I ordered veal with green peas. Knowing that I would be super bloated (and fat!), I quickly motioned hubby to order something simple. You know what he order? Scroll down below....



Tomato-stuffed rice and fries

Veal and green peas (cannot imagine how this dish could turn out to be awesome)

What hubby ordered....spinach!

 3. Giolitti

After searching for the good gelato, and the nearest to where were at that point of time, we chose Giolitti.
More on Giolitti here. I had the pistachio flavoured gelato. Was really good! Too bad it was end of spring and still very cold, else we would definitely have more than 1 gelato experience. Maybe we should plan to visit Italy during summer the next round.

Yummeh gelato:)


4. Pizzarium

Stumbled upon Pizzarium when I did my research on cheap eats in Rome. So happen that this place is just around the corner where we were staying. Pizzarium, by Gabriele Bonci (celebrity baker and pizza maker in Rome) is one Rome's famous pizza al taglio, which means pizza by the cut. You tell the person behind the counter, how small or large you want the pizza to be; he cuts and weigh and you pay. 


Pizzarium, by Gabriele Bonci
Different varieties of pizza
 Hubby got deceived, when he ordered the 'pineapple'pizza. He thought that the yellow toppings were pineapples. When he got back, he got a shock when it was potatoes! Overall, the fish-ham pizza was so-so only as the combination brought out more of the fishy taste compared to the ham. The tomato pizza, basic but nice. Overall, I should still stick to Pizza Hut (or Domino's).


From the top: Fish and ham pizza, tomato pizza and potato pizza


5. Mc Donalds


While we were waiting for the train to Florence, we decided to try out Mc Donalds at the Termini station.
To my surprise, they do not come with free sauces unlike here in Malaysia. You have to pay 40 cents Euro for 1 sauce. Mind you, they do not even have chilli sauce. So I got mustard and tomato instead.

Chicken Mc Nuggets


Mini chicken drummets

Crispy Mc Bacon (too bad we can't have bacon in Mc Donalds Malaysia)



4 comments:

  1. Hungry see all this food...hehe must learn how to cook that Veal & Green Peas. And for my personal enjoyment, the sautéed spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we should try that..but I do not know what sauce they use. Do you remember? And the spinach...horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...I don't know what sauce was that...taste like jz salt & a little pepper. Hehe...the spinach is ok, jz on the bitter side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can try..but where to get veal?

    ReplyDelete