Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sambal tempoyak and sambal serai

These two are my favourite dishes. Watched MIL prepare them, and I think I will be trying them out soon.
For those of you who do not know what tempoyak is, as I mentioned before it is actually fermented durian. Salt is added to the durian flesh, and kept in the fridge for a few days. When you want to cook, heat oil in pan, add chopped garlic and onion, tempoyak, sugar and  some pre-fried anchovies (known as ikan pusuk in Sarawak) and voila! u have samba tempoyak which goes along well with rice. I personally like my sambal tempoyak to be sour (thus u add less salt during the fermentation process).

 
  Sambal tempoyak

The other dish is sambal serai. I tasted this about 2 years ago when I visited hubby and family in Kuching. Sambal serai goes very well with porridge. Unfortunately hubby dislike this dish (I still wonder why). 
This dish is more labour intensive because you have to pound the ingredients (serai or lemongrass, garlic, shallots, belacan, ikan pusuk).  Then you heat up oil, and add in all the pounded ingredients, fry for about 2 minutes or so. Serve with porridge. My bad..for not being able to show you how the dish looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment