Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Italian Spaghetti Carbonara

When we were at Pisa, Italy last year, I ordered spaghetti Carbonara at one of the cafe's. When my order came, I was shocked because it certainly did not look or taste like any of the Carbonara's I've ever seen/eaten. You see, I was so used to the creamy Carbonara that I wondered what did the waitress just serve me.

We ordered Carbonara in Athens, and this was what we got. Yeah, creamy Carbonara.


Then I did my research, and found that cream is not used in Italian Carbonara. In fact, Italians use eggs instead.
So last week, I decided to attempt the Italian version of Carbonara. I substituted guanciale/pancentta for normal ham. I also added garlic (since I like them). The tricky part is to add eggs into the pot of spaghetti and letting the heat from the pot and the spaghetti to cook the eggs. The end result should present a nice creamy egg sauce rather than scrambled eggs. I added also lots of parmesan and black pepper.



I still think that my favourite pasta is the Aglio Olio. Nothing beats its simplicity, the garlic, chilli flakes in olive oil:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em. Nah we are at opposite poles on this one. That style of sauce is not to my taste as I personally prefer my pasta in tomato based sauces, like A'matriciana or especially puttanesca. If you served me your recipe I would put ketchup on it! Still... Each to their own. :}

    ReplyDelete