Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ayam Lepaas

Ayam Lepaas is the name of an Indonesian restaurant situated at Sg Nibong in Penang, near a Chinese school. I saw this place a couple of times when I drove past but never really thought of trying it out until yesterday. At first glance, the font used for Ayam Lepaas reminded me of the same font used for Mi Sedaap. What do you think?




The big poster on the wall of the origins of Ayam Lepaas. It was first introduced in Banda Aceh in 2009 and currently has branches all over Indonesia.


This place serves original fried chicken from Aceh, Indonesia and other stuff like fried tempe and tofu and 3 types of vegetables; kangkung, cauliflower and bean sprouts.


You can choose which part of the chicken you want; the thigh or the breast, or even catfish or spring-chicken. We both ordered the thigh, tempe and tofu, and kangkung.

The fried tempe and tofu was crispy and the black sauce that accompanied it was wonderful. I would recommend this!

Crispy tempe and tofu (RM 3)

The stir-fry kangkung came a little late. To be honest, I've tasted kangkung belacan more than 50 times in my life from 3 states (Kedah, Penang and Johor) and this is no-where near good. Not recommended!

Stir-fry Kangkung
Our Ayam Lepaas set came next. The chicken was large and the 2 sauces that came with it was MARVELOUS! It was spicy and accompanied the chicken well. In my opinion, the chicken did not meet my expectation because it lack spices. Hmmm..maybe I am too picky.


Ayam Lepaas set (thigh) RM 7.50
Will I come again? Perhaps in another few months. Since I like my food 'drowned' in gravy I find the Ayam Lepaas set quite dry although soup was provided. If you haven't tried Indonesian food, why not hop over for a try? You might like it:)



No comments:

Post a Comment