Sunday, February 2, 2014

Chinese New Year 2014 (Reunion Dinner)

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!
At the point of writing, we are now celebrating the 3rd day of CNY.
My parents have gone back home and now I finally get the chance to recap events happening the last few days.

I decided not to take leave from work the day before CNY, so I went to the office and literally did nothing there. Most of the people has already gone back to their hometown. Those who were at the office were Penangites or celebrating their CNY in Penang. Anyway by 3pm I was already agitated and bored so I texted my boss that I am taking 2 hours off work.

Back to the reunion dinner, this year we stayed away from steamboat and bbq. Instead each of us prepared one dish and we bought the Thai tomyam from a nearby restaurant. I just can't resist having something spicy for reunion dinner which is why I bought the tom yam. It was awesome!

Mixed Vegetables prepared by Evelyn
Arrowhead or suku/ngaku/chiku (they all refer to the same thing just different dialects) are only sold during CNY. I was told that this year they are expensive. Well, this is one of my favourite dish which I only to eat during CNY. Mom cooked this Hakka style with leeks, lap cheong (Chinese sausages) and minced pork. Delicious!

Arrow head (suku/ngaku) prepared by mom

Daddy said that this dish was good. I think that's a real compliment since daddy hardly comment on anyone's cooking. I have Rasa Malaysia to thank for this recipe. You may get the recipe here. I omit Maggi seasoning and used lots of Chinese cooking wine and I marinated the beef 1 whole day.
Mongolian Beef prepared by me
Pak Hussain's Tomyam Campur
4 dishes for 5 people..we were full to the brim. The whole family dinner took about 45 minutes and after that dad, hubby and me even had the chance to bring Brownie for a 30 minutes walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment