Sunday, February 3, 2013

Decoupage and the weekend project

I do not consider myself artistic, since I can't draw well and used to getting C's for art subject.
However, decoupage is a form of art which do not require me to draw or paint, what-so-ever.
It just require patience, creativity and some skill (which I still lacked). I got hooked on decoupage when I stumbled upon this art while looking at some blogs 2 years ago. Also, decoupage was what I did to pass time when I was looking for a job back then.

Most of my creations were done on wood. I've done some on bottles and glass too. I never seem to be able make the surface smooth, lack of skill I guess.

These two were done on wooden chopping boards from Daiso.



These two blocks of wood was given by a nice church member. I should have used sandpaper to smoothen the surface before pasting the tissues.


I used the cover from a biscuit tin and added the rest of the accessories. Got this inspiration from my church member.


These two small wooden boxes were painted and decoupaged. Now used as my mini jewellery box.




Decoupage can be done on egg shells. So I tried...What do you think?



My collection of decoupage tissues..




This weekend, my project was to transform this tin (used to be Kjeldsen's butter cookies) into a flower-themed storage tin. Got hubby to be involved in this project. He used sandpaper to remove the original colours of the tin and then sprayed the tin white.



I cut out the flowers from the tissues, arranged them and applied a layer of gesso followed by sealant and lastly a coat of clear varnish. The final product...



From what I gathered, most professional's use JoSonja and Americana decoupage kits (gesso, glaze, varnish, etc). Many ladies (from blogs) are really really talented and good at decoupage. They do offer basic decoupage classes to anyone interested and also sell customized decoupaged products. Really pretty!

Then next thing to learn is folkart. Unlike decoupage, I think I need to attend classes since folkart involves painting..







1 comment: