Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fridge magnets and other collectibles..

I love fridge magnets, especially those representing famous icons of the countries they come from. Seeing them on my fridge always make me happy, for some reason. It must be the memories of that particular trip, or fond thoughts of the person who had given them to me.

I got both magnets and key chains from one of the souvenir stalls outside Pisa. There's the Baptistery, Duomo and the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa on the right.







We were advised to get souvenirs from Florence rather than Rome/Milan/Venice as they were more expensive there. This Venetian mask magnet was purchased at San Lorenzo Market, Florence. The 'face' was so fragile that I worried it would be smashed by the time we arrive back home.




From Santorini, I got these 2 lovelies for myself, while the rest (sadly, no pictures) had been given away to family members and colleagues. I wished I've gotten more souvenirs from Santorini, as they were all so beautiful (and costly too..).



This is a miniature house/building in Santorini. There are many of such miniature clay souvenirs..but not cheap, about 4 euros each. The other picture is a plaque which we purposely bought to remember this fantastic place. Read about my Santorini trip here.




Next are some items we got from Athens, which we bought from Corina at Plaka.




These are called 'matia' or evil eye. They can be found at every souvenir shop in Athens, some in the form of a key chain, some on bracelets, etc. I received my first 'matia' (picture on the right) when I was back in secondary school, from my cousin who got it from Athens. I don't believe in good luck charms, I just think that they make good souvenirs.



From London, I got this London bus magnet with all the iconic landmarks in it.


This was my first London magnet which I got from WH when she was there for her conference.


Got this as a souvenir from my boss when he went for a holiday in Hong Kong last year..



My mom got me this when she went to Korea 2 years ago..


Got this from SS when she was on a business trip to India early this year...


Told SY to get me a magnet when he went to US for a month last year and he got me this...


J came back from Shanghai 2 weeks ago and got me this:)


Since I go back to visit my in-laws every year in Kuching, Sarawak, I sure make it a point to get some magnets to adorn my fridge. The one on the left depicts the Sarawak State Legislative Assembly Building.



Got this from one of the stalls opposite Komtar, Penang. I got 3 of these, which I gave 2 to Maria (the owner of Villa Rose Santorini).



I have other magnets, each with a 'history' of its own, but it will take too long to write about them here.




2 comments:

  1. Hehehe...our fridge still rooms for many more magnets :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Kopial's collection. If the fridge's front door is full, you can always stick at the side.

      Delete